[Coral-List] Michael Risk - C. delitrix as measure of

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at reefcheck.org
Wed Oct 18 00:24:48 EDT 2006

Hi Mike, Christine and others,

Mike and I have been informally discussing this for some time, so I am
pleased there are other folks interested to help.

I have about 30 Reef Check Coordinators from all over the world here at
ITMEMS so we should be able to test this out in short order. A number of
additional concerns have been raised by other posters regarding taxonomy
(can we teach non-scientists to differentiate these species?), distribution
of the indicators. As Stephen has raised, the key question is what does it
all mean? Correlations with nutrients vs sediments, vs nutrients plus
sediments as your work has shown may be inter-related.

But lets try to come up with a complete package (cook-book training plus
field methods) and we can give it a test run in 2007. Thanks for the pics.

PS I always used a kick test in the "old days" to determine (small) coral
head stability vis a vis sponge infestation.....

Gregor Hodgson, PhD
Executive Director, Reef Check Foundation
P.O. Box 1057 (mail)
17575 Pacific Coast Highway (Fedex)
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272-1057
Tel: +1-310-230-2371 Fax: +1-310-230-2376
email: gregorh at reefcheck.org
www.ReefCheck.org
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity which
is named and may contain certain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message from your system.