[Coral-List] Should we have a photo journal for ecologists,

Reuven Walder rwalder at seaweb.org
Thu Oct 19 18:32:04 EDT 2006

Hi Mike,

In reference to a refereed photo journal, I suggest you visit the Marine
Photobank (www.marinephotobank.org).  The Marine Photobank is a free
visual resource that collect and provides photos, images and graphics that
shed light on ocean research and conservation issues.

We will gladly support any needs to gather and make imagery available.
Membership is free and images and readily accessible.  There are a host of
existing galleries covering a range of worldwide subjects including:
- Deep Sea Habitat
- Marine Research and Education
- Reefs in Peril/Coral Bleaching
- Marine Pollution and Trash
- Marine Reserves/Marine Protected Areas
- Marine Ecological Processes
- Then and Now Comparisons
- Fishery Bycatch
and
- Coastal Development

If this sounds like this it might fit your needs, I would be happy to help
and you and other researchers upload and better share your image resources
among your colleagues and others.  Members can easily upload their own
images and provide the necessary backround information including a weblink
to direct traffic to their research sites for further information.

We can establish galleries for various biology groups or strategize on the
best way to make the images available.

That's a big part of our mission and we'd be happy to help.

I am available to further discuss.

Take care,

Reuven
Director
Marine Photobank
8401 Colesville Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 495-9570
rwalder at seaweb.org
www.marinephotobank.org

The Marine Photobank is a program of SeaWeb, a registered non-profit
organization, and aims to advance ocean conservation by providing
compelling, high-quality marine photos, images and graphics at no cost for
non-commercial use as well as for media use. The Marine Photobank aims to
literally shed light through photos on pressing marine issues and
human-related impacts on the ocean ecosystem.

Specifically, the Photobank:
- Provides a unique and dynamic resource of ocean conservation related
imagery for research, education, media and public outreach.
- Inspires photographers to actively engage in marine conservation by
taking photos that illustrate ocean impacts and sharing them with the
public through the Marine Photobank.
- Engages a powerful network of individuals and entities who can
communicate, synergize and increase their visibility.

Message: 3