[Coral-List] Save the Bahamas Meeting in Freeport

Erik Gauger erik at notesfromtheroad.com
Fri Sep 1 12:16:07 EDT 2006

Dear Coral List,

I just wanted to pass along this invitation to anybody interested
in current development issues in the Bahamas.  Several Out-Island
Bahamas groups are concerned about the effects of unsustainable
development in their country. They are meeting in Freeport Sept
29, 30 and October 1.  Coral and marine scientists and
conservationists are invited to attend.

--------------------------

The Save Guana Cay Reef Association and other like minded
Environmental and Local Rights Groups feel that there is strength
in numbers, and if we could create an organization that could
unify our efforts on a national scale we could

all help each other.

Please join us in Freeport for an important event! We want to
create a "Save The Bahamas" NGO.

Save Guana Cay Reef Association, invites you, along with other
interested representatives from the island communities , the
scientific community, and other concerned parties in meeting
together to discuss the issues we are all currently facing. We
recognize that the development of mega resorts and the rampant
environmental destruction of our islands is a problem that is

affecting us all. We also realize the issue is a large one that
encompasses the giving away of Crown land, the permitting process
and the lack of consultation with local government by central
government and developers.

The time to make a difference is now. This meeting is a terrific
chance for you to voice your concerns, ask questions, and learn
what you can do to make a huge difference.

By opening the lines of communication between people with a
shared concern our ability to affect change grows exponentially.
Save Guana Cay Reef has had tremendous success recently with two
favorable rulings in the highest court in the land, The Privy
Council.

We would like to hear your stories. We would like to hear your
concerns and your ideas. We can share our experience and form a
very powerful lobbying group. Let's ride the tide of recent media
coverage of this important issue. We can make it work for us!  We
can change the awful course this unchecked, ill-planned
development has set The Bahamas on!

We have secured a beautiful hotel with discounted rooms at a
convenient location directly adjacent to The Port Lucaya
Marketplace!

http://www.portlucayamarketplace.com/

We have chosen this location because it allows guests a wide
range of  options for restaurants because we understand that

with trying to raise money for our various causes we must keep
the wallet in mind! It will be a great time and we are all
looking forward to seeing you there!

September 29th, 30th, October 1st

Freeport, Grand Bahama,

First ever meeting of a multi-island coalition united against
destruction of the environmental, culture, traditions heritage
and local rights throughout the Bahama Islands!

Let's join forces and win. We invite you to attend and help
create the most powerful voice ever in the history of the
Bahamas!

Save the Bahamas!

Location: Pelican Bay Hotel, Freeport Grand Bahama

Schedule of events:

Friday: Evening meet and greet at Yellow Tails at Pelican Bay
Hotel 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Guests can purchase drinks/food at Yellow
tails. Menu available online.

Saturday: All guests meeting at The Ferry House Restaurant
Terrace Room*: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. (break in the middle)
http://www.ferryhousebahamas.com/ Guests can grab a quick bite at
Yellow Tails or next door at the marketplace during

the break.

Press Conference after meeting

Saturday evening get together: Location to be announced

Sunday: Finalize contacts, meet in Count Basie square for
coffee/tea/danish

that guests may purchase in any of the many locations surrounding
the

square in the early a.m.

We will e-mail any updates or added events.

***See below for details:

The Pelican Bay Hotel, http://www.pelicanbayhotel.com/ is
centrally located in Freeport and literally steps away from over
30

restaurants and pubs! There are also shops, a convenience store,
and the beach is only 300 yards away. No rental car worries or
travel to separate locations!! The majority of the restaurants
and pubs are casual attire with reasonable prices. There is a
discount on hotel rates for those attending. Also included is a
coupon for a free cocktail at Yellowtails! For those

attending, there is a convenient online site to secure your
discounted price on your reservation. Please R.S.V.P.  by

September 15th.

* If our attendance response shows that we will outgrow our
meeting room capacity -which it may!- we will change to a larger
venue that is also within convenient walking distance of  the
hotel! We will notify all guests promptly of any changes.  RSVP
INFO BELOW

To reserve online:

1. Log on to  URL: www.pelicanbayhotel.com

2. On home page, select  reservations from the navigation box on
the left.

3.This takes you to  reservations  page.  Where it states  "If
you will be making seperate transportation arrangements , and
only need to book your accomodations online, click here" Click
link.

You will see a tab for  group reservations. Please select.

4.  Your password is enviro2.

5.  Single/double nightly rates are: Bay/marina view one-bedroom
suite - $189; bay view deluxe room - $149; superior bay view room
- $129 and garden pool view room $109.

All rates are subject to the prevailing 6% Government Tax and 9%
Tourism Board Resort Levy, per room per night;these are subject
to change.

A charge of $50 will be added for a third person sharing a double
suite.  A charge of $30 will be added for a third person sharing
a double room.  Children 12 years and under may share the same
room with parents at no additional charge.

This online capability automatically shuts off two weeks prior to
the expected arrival date for  guests -- September 15, 2006.  The
meeting space at The Ferry House Terrace is confirmed for 10 a.m.
to 2 p.m., Saturday, September 30.

Check in is at 3 p.m. however guests arriving early will be able
to check into their room if ready. If room is not ready guests
may leave their luggage with hotel front desk who will store it
in a safe location until room is available ,or 3 p.m.,whichever
comes first. Any questions about rates please contact hotel. Free
continental breakfast included.

p3789 at aol.com