[Coral-List] NOAA Issues Unscheduled El Nino Advisory

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 16:26:46 EDT 2006

Hi Gene, I recall reading a year or so ago about how
global warming in the Atlantic might have an effect
opposite of what one might expect and could even cause
a minor "ice age" in Europe. The theory was that the
warming melts the Greenland ice sheet (which is
happening), and this cold water flows into the North
Atlantic and disrupts, somehow, the deeper warmer
"conveyer belt" currents that return water to replace
the movement of surface currents, which might change
the European climate to colder winters and short
summers. If so, maybe what you refer to is a product
of this phenomenon? Perhaps someone who knows what
they're talking about could weigh in on this.

Martin