[Coral-List] request for assistance on literature non-extractiveimpacts on coral reef ecosystems

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 13:16:50 EDT 2006

Dear Manoj,

    If you want some idea of the impact of boat groundings in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS), you might try and contact the Sanctuary Superintendent.  When Billy Causey presented at U. of Miami/Bill Precht's conference Oct 18, 2005, he made a point that while only one vessel greater than 50 meters length had grounded in FKNMS during 1990-1996, there are still approximately 500 groundings per year in the FKNMS presently.

    This country still allows people without training to rent and operate large, personal motorboats.

Keven Reed
Orange Park, FL