[Coral-List] Chuuk Lagoon - two coral reef scientists required.

Maria Beger m.beger at uq.edu.au
Mon Apr 16 01:44:38 EDT 2007

Dear All,

I am looking for two marine scientists who would like to get involved with
an Earthwatch project in Chuuk Lagoon, Micronesia.  The urgency is on
finding placements for the July 2007 fieldtrip, however I will give priority
to people who envisage a long-term involvement/ interest in the project. One
person will work as the Marine Biology Princpal Investigator, and the
other's official role is DiveMaster, and they will assist the Marine Bio PI
when they are not divemastering.

Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia, is an island nation covering over 3
Mio km2 of the western Pacific.  During World War II, Truk was a major base
for the Japanese, equivalent to America's Pearl Harbor in strategic
importance.  Today there are over 50 shipwrecks and numerous aircraft
located in the lagoon that Al Giddings described as "one of the great
undersea wonders of the world."  Tourists from all over the globe come here
to dive these sites.  The natural flora and fauna that has built up around
these sites and the war remains provide a unique natural and cultural
heritage seascape.  The Chuukese government and part of the Chuukese
community rely on the economic returns from tourism.  The sites are also
graveyards for thousands of Japanese who died during the war and they are
respected as such. There is obviously a need for a sensitive and inclusive
approach to the management of the sites.  This project will survey, map,
photograph and sample the sites so as to develop a better understanding of
their natural and cultural heritage value and diversity. We will document
and monitor the impact of the environment, of storms and people on the sites
to gain a better idea on the health and longevity of the natural and
cultural fabric. We will consider the sites in context with the broader
history of Truk and the terrestrial World War II sites through the
collection of oral histories. This information will be presented in various
forms to the Chuuk, FSM and US governments to assist them in managing the
sites in a more sustainable and inclusive manner. www.earthwatch.org,
http://www.chuukhistoric.org/earthwatch.htm

1. Marine Biology Princpal Investigator:  14 July - 11 August 2007
Selection criteria:
.	Relevant masters degree or higher (marine biology, ecology,
environmental science..)
.	Extensive experience of coral reef fieldwork and surveying of at
least 3 years
.	Ability to identify hard corals to genus level, id common
invertebrates, and identify common fish species
.	Familiarity with standard belt transect survey methods, and Reef
Check
.	Dive experience, Dive Master or higher, or any other convincing
evidence of highly advanced diving skills
.	Wreck diving experience
.	Current first aid and oxygen CPR qualifications
.	Leadership: ability to lead groups of scientists/ volunteers, be
decisive in times of crisis
.	Excellent communication skills - ability to interact well with other
scientists (archaeologists, electrochemists) and to interact with volunteers
.	Sensitivity to volunteer needs - Earthwatch volunteers are often
senior people in their chosen profession.  They participate in the
expedition to contribute to conservation/ research, and their ideas and
contributions need to be honoured.
.	Sensitivity to local customs
.	Experience in reef mapping, e.g. use of GPS and GIS
.	Ability to improvise if necessary
.	Full set of Diving gear including dive computer to be used on the
field trip
.	Laptop that can be used during the trip

2. Dive Master:   27 July - 11 August 2007

Selection criteria:
.	Relevant masters degree or higher (marine biology, ecology,
environmental science..)
.	sound experience of coral reef fieldwork and surveying of at least 3
years
.	Ability to identify hard corals to genus level, id common
invertebrates, and identify common fish species
.	Familiarity with standard belt transect survey methods, and Reef
Check
.	PADI Dive Master qualification
.	Current first aid and oxygen CPR qualifications
.	Excellent communication skills - ability to interact well with other
scientists (archaeologists, electrochemists) and to interact with volunteers
.	Sensitivity to volunteer needs
.	Sensitivity to local customs
.	Ability to improvise if necessary
.	Full set of Diving gear including dive computer to be used on the
field trip

The work is on a voluntary basis, aka you need their own salary, but the
project covers all field expenses and flights up to 1250 US.  This should
cover most flights from Australia or the Asia-Pacific, but is unlikely to
cover flights from Europe or America and other parts of the world. The
flight will go through Guam, and a valid US visa or a passport qualifying
for the visa exception is required.  This unfortunately cuts out many people
from asia who do not possess a current US visa.

Please contact me with your current CV and give me two emails for potential
referees by 20 April.  I will only reply to the successful applicants.

Many thanks for your interest.  Maria

Maria Beger
The Ecology Centre
School of Integrative Biology