[Coral-List] using F.I.S.H. on Acropora samples

buiscuil pascal.mege at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:59:22 EDT 2007

Hello subscribers,
Being novice in this technique, I wonder if anyone has used fluroescence in
situ hybridization (FISH) on bacterial populations associated with coral,
especially of the genus Acropora. Well, in fact, I know some did (!) but it
is good to hear more from others, especially since I do not dispose of
everything that was described.
Using specific probes, my aim is to compare proportions of bacteria using
FISH on the one hand and using 16SrDNA sequencing on the other... The
lattest I cope with but can I use my already extracted DNA (used for the 16S
sequencing) as a substrate for the hybridization and how? My fear (well, one
of them) is to have unspecific hybridization occuring since my extracted DNA
include the whole coral sample (tissue, zoox, algae, bacteria etc). What
would you advise? Thank you for useful and guiding answers!

--
Pascal Mège
PHD student - university of Puerto Rico -Rio Piedras-