[Coral-List] Montastraea spawning

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Aug 7 11:18:44 EDT 2007

Hello All:

There has been a number of postings about Acropora spawning in the Caribbean this past week but no listings of observations of spawning by the Montastraea annularis group.  Has anyone observed these taxa to spawn over the past weekend?  Any news would be appreciated (location, which morphs, time of spawning, % of colonies spawning).

Many thanks,

Alina Szmant

P.S.  When I get a free minute I will post a summary of past Acropora palmata spawn observations including fron years such as 1996 when we had the same lunar cycle as this year.  That year we had extensive spawnings of A palmata both early and late August in the Florida keys.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta