[Coral-List] Fall AGU session B27: Frontiers in Biomineralization Research: Processes, Geochemical Signatures and Responses to Global Change

Anne Cohen acohen at whoi.edu
Fri Aug 10 15:50:36 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

The following session at the AGU fall meeting in San Francisco will
focus on all aspects of Biomineralization: the fundamental processes
involved in shell building, the implications of these processes for
interpreting paleoclimate proxies, and the vulnerability of shells and
skeletons to global climate changes, particularly ocean temperatures and
saturation state.  We encourage you to submit your abstract for the
Sept. 6 deadline.

Anne Cohen
Jess Adkins
Dan McCorkle
David Gillikin

B27: Frontiers in Biomineralization Research: Processes, Geochemical
Signatures and Responses to Global Change
<http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=394>
chemical and physical environments from which they formed. However,
interpreting these signatures is not straightforward because conditions
within the mineralization environment are influenced by biological
processes, and usually differ from external conditions. Unraveling these
biological effects requires an understanding of fundamental pathways and
processes of biomineralization. Such insights are also key to
understanding and predicting the response of shelled organisms to past
and future changes in global climate and atmospheric carbon dioxide.
Much of our current knowledge of biomineralization stems from analyses
of field specimens, but complementary insights into biomineral formation
are now being gained through laboratory precipitation studies of
inorganic analogs, culturing studies of biomineralizing organisms, and
modeling studies. With this multi-pronged approach, the physical basis
of biomineralization may be elucidated, the superimposed effects of
biological processes on environmental proxies quantified, and the
response of biomineralizers to global change and ocean acidification
better understood. We invite papers from field, laboratory, and
theoretical studies of biogenic and abiogenic systems related to this
rapidly developing research arena.

Note that our session is formally linked to, and will run in conjunction
with, session PP24:  Chemical and Isotopic Composition of Marine
Carbonate Skeletons: Physiological Versus Environmental Control
<http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=618>,
chaired by Anders Meibom and Anton Eisenhauer.

--

Anne L. Cohen
Department of Geology and Geophysics

office 508 289 2958   lab 508 289 4836