[Coral-List] 11th ICRS meeting session: Hydrodynamics of Coral-Reef Systems

Curt Storlazzi cstorlazzi at usgs.gov
Fri Aug 17 16:26:23 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues:

We would like to cordially invite you to participate in a meeting session on:

Hydrodynamics of Coral-Reef Systems

at the 11th International Coral Reef Symposium (ICRS), which will be
held 7-11 July, 2008, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA. The theme for
the 11th ICRS is REEFS FOR THE FUTURE. The Symposium goals are to:
Provide a scientific basis for coral reef ecosystem management by
articulating the state of the science with respect to current and
emerging stressors; improve the understanding of reef condition,
function, and productivity; and grow the fields of coral reef
ecosystem science, conservation, and multidisciplinary research by
facilitating the exchange of ideas.

Please visit the conference website for more information:
http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/index.html

Aim and Scope of this Session, Mini-Symposium #15

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

How well do numerical models represent hydrodynamic processes in
coral reef systems?

How are new data adding to our understanding of hydrodynamic
processes on coral reefs, and how much do we know about the role of
hydrodynamics in the biogeochemical dynamics, morphology and health
of coral reefs?

Do we understand the physical boundary zones, and boundary layers,
that exist in coral reef systems due to reef topography, tides,
waves, wind and other environmental forcings? What is the importance
of these physical zones to transport on reefs and the associated
sediment dynamics and ecology?

What is the role of roughness in coral reef hydrodynamics and how
well separated are spatial scales in their influence on
hydrodynamics? What are the roles of small and large scale processes
in controlling water flow, turbulence, diffusion, zonation and
patchiness in reefs?

Summaries of current regional investigations, site-specific studies
and modeling results are all encouraged.

Co-conveners:
Cliff Hearn
United States Geological Survey, Center for Coastal & Watershed
Studies, St. Petersburg, FL (cjhearn at usgs.gov)
Curt Storlazzi
United States Geological Survey, Pacific Science Center, Santa Cruz,
CA (cstorlazzi at usgs.gov)
Francisco Pagan
Caribbean Coral Reef Institute, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez,
PR (fpagan at uprm.edu)

To assist the organizing committee in assigning your abstract to our
session, please use the session code: Mini-Symposium #15. The
deadline for electronic abstracts submissions is 15 November, 2007,
at: http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/abstracts.html . Early
registration is open until 1 March, 2008.

If you know of anyone who might be interested who might not receive
this notice, please feel free to pass it along.  We are very excited
about this session, and look forward to your participation.  If you
have any questions, please feel free to contact us.  We hope to see
you in Fort Lauderdale!

Cliff, Curt and Francisco

--

ciao.....