[Coral-List] 11th ICRS: Ecosystem assessment of coral reefs: new technologies and approaches

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Sat Aug 18 09:46:21 EDT 2007

Greetings!

    Please consider attending the 11th ICRS
(http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (my old
home town!) during July 7-11, 2008, and review all the Mini-Symposia
carefully at http://www.nova.edu/ncri/11icrs/scientificprogram.html.  We
hope you will consider contributing to our Mini-Symposium (#16),

    "Ecosystem assessment of coral reefs - new technologies and approaches"

    The key topics of consideration include:

    a) What are the most critical biological and geochemical variables
that should be included in real-time observing systems, and how much is
system dependent?
    b) What advances have been made in coral reef monitoring technology
and methodology, and what new technologies are needed to assist in
facilitating coral reef research?
    c) How do coastal observing systems contribute to our understanding
of processes affecting coral reefs?
    d) What advances have been made in coral reef monitoring technology
and methodology?
    e) What real-time systems and mechanisms are being used, and which
ones are required, to produce useful new (i.e., not coral bleaching)
ecosystem forecasts (e.g., fish and invertebrate spawning, larval drift,
etc.) of relevance to MPA managers and researchers?

    Please note that this Mini-Symposium is geared more toward
technological advances and less toward traditional biological survey
techniques (i.e., possibly contrast with or consider Mini-Symposium #18:
Reef Status and Trends).

    Thank you, and we'll see you there!

    Cheers,
        Jim Hendee