[Coral-List] Mystery Event - Lankayan Island, Sulu Sea, Sandakan

Arthur Webb arthur at sopac.org
Wed Aug 22 16:25:14 EDT 2007

It's interesting you mention an atoll event.  I was in Kiribati in the
Central Pacific during Christmas 2003 and at that time there were
reports of mass mortality along the ocean side coasts of at least 2
atolls in the group (Abemama and I think Nonouti).  These atolls are
tectonically stable and are far from any active plate boundaries and are
thousands of kilometers from any significant land mass with surface run
off.  Additionally, both of the islands mentioned above have small
populations who live a traditional subsistence lifestyle (few vehicle's,
no electricity or reticulated water, few imported products, no intensive
agriculture, etc) in relatively pristine terrestrial and marine
environments.

Whilst I did not witness the event I did travel to Abemama about 2
months after and the same story was repeated time and again that there
was so much dead marine life on the ocean side reefs (and not the lagoon
side) that "windrows" of dead fish lined the shores (both pelagic and
reef associated species were mentioned).  The people here too indicated
the intolerable smell and plague of flys which followed but this seemed
very much associated with the decaying marine life not the time of the
event.

I must say this utterly stumped me! These atolls are ancient seamounts
which rise steeply from 3.5 4.0 km depth and the outside living reefs
where the dead fish were first witnessed are the very upper living rim
of these oceanic slopes.  They are high energy environments and the
concept of water residence times barely even applies and as mentioned
there is no tectonic or terrigenous influence to speak of.  Last, people
reported that some had taken and eaten fish which was sluggishly
floating (near death I guess) immediately following the event with no
ill effect and otherwise of those I spoke to there was no living memory
or oral history of such an event having happen before.

My only thought was that through some freak anomaly of deep currents a
slug of very cold and or deoxygenated water moved up the slope persisted
for long enough to cause damage then sank again ............. anyway
since we're on similar subjects I'd be interested if there's any similar
stories or ideas out there.

Thanks,

**Arthur Webb
*Coastal Processes Adviser*

*/SOPAC/* **Pacific**** ****Islands**** Applied Geoscience Commission**
Postal Address: Private Mail Bag, GPO, Suva, Fiji Islands
Street Address:  241 Mead Road, Nabua, Fiji Islands
Tel: +679 338 1377 Fax: +679 337 0040
Email:** **arthur at sopac.org <mailto:herve at sopac.org>
Website:** **_<<_http://www.sopac.org <http://www.sopac.org/>_>>_