[Coral-List] Mystery Event - Lankayan Island, Sulu Sea, Sandakan

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Aug 23 17:21:52 EDT 2007

In addition to red tides, warm water events can kill fish and invertebrates
if they are warm enough and in still waters (as has happened previously in
Bolinao, Philippines). This does not involve all the symptoms from Lankayan
situation, and would have seemed to be more of a problem in a lagoon, but it
will be important to watch for a range of potential causes.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4700 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
j.mcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      www.ncoremiami.org
Phone: 305-421-4814   Fax: 305-421-4910

  "If I cannot build it, I do not understand it."
              --Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate