[Coral-List] Shark Slaughter

David McGuire david at trilliumfilms.net
Thu Aug 23 19:10:48 EDT 2007

The principal investigator of this study,  Dr. Enric Sala of SIO is
featured in our film Sharks: Stewards of the Reef where he brings
this study to light.  As reported in his April 2005  Study published
in PNAS, Dr. Sala et al correlates the cascade effects of removing
apex predators such as sharks to the overall health of the marine
system, particularly coral.

One of the most striking products of the study is a stark picture of
human impacts on marine ecosystems and the consequences of targeted
fishing. In the Caribbean, overfishing of sharks triggers a domino
effect of changes in abundance that carries down to several fish
species and contributes to the overall degradation of the reef
ecosystem. Overfishing species randomly, the study shows, is not
likely to cause these cascading effects.

"It appears that ecosystems such as Caribbean coral reefs need sharks
to ensure the stability of the entire system," said Sala, deputy
director of the Center for Marine Biodiversity and Conservation at
Scripps.

This 30 minute film, also features Shark Conservationists Sonja
Fordham, Peter Knights and examines threats to sharks, including
shark finning, the importance of sharks ecologically and how we can
support marine protected ares for sharks and a healthy ocean.  We are
screening at the Monterey Bay Aquarium this month.

David McGuire
www.sharkstewards.com

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:48 AM, craig cooper wrote:

>   SHARK SLAUGHTER
>
> Shark fin soup, prized as a delicacy in Asia, has generated a
> worldwide
> billion dollar industry, where more than 100 million sharks are killed
> each year.  The process of "finning" involves cutting off the shark's
> fins, after which the rest of the animal is thrown overboard, often
> still alive.  Despite surviving longer than any other large animal on
> earth,  their populations are rapidly declining.  In fact, the numbers
> of some shark species have fallen more than 90 per cent.  The
> elimination of sharks is having a direct affect on the health of coral
> reefs and the oceans as a whole.  Researchers at the Scripps Institute
> of Oceanography are currently studying this issue.  Hopefully this
> research and the dissemination of this information to the public will
> bring an end to this wholesale slaughter.
>
>   Craig Cooper
>   Sharkwater Team
> www.sharkwater.com

415 289.0366
415 289.0399 Fax
www.trilliumfilms.net
www.sharkstewards.com

Please take a moment to learn about the growing global problem of
Shark Finning and how you can Help Stop the Distribution of Shark
Fins for Shark Fin Soup:

www.sharkstewards.com/synopsis.htm

http://sharkstewards.com/take-action.htm

Establish a Global Ban on Shark Finning  http://