[Coral-List] Mystery Event - Lankayan Island, Sulu Sea, Sandakan

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 00:19:42 EDT 2007

In the Caroline Islands (Chuuk State, Federated States of Micronesia) I
heard of blooms, known by different names on a number of islands.  People
from Puluwat knew it as Puropur (bubbles).  While it might be a different
event, on Tol, in Chuuk Lagoon, while I have forgotten the name, it was said
to be so foul smelling that one cannot stay near the beach, while at the
same time, herrings, Herklotsichthys sp., are sometimes toxic.  A friend
from Pohnpei (Pingelap) stated he was familiar with these blooms, that he
had known of someone who fell in the water at such a time and died.  These
are only three examples, but they are well known in the islands, while I
have not met many from outside who can even grok what I'm talking about.

In the Philippine Islands, I was told that when Barringtonia flower, that is
the time when the sardines (possibly referring to Herklotsichthys sp.) can
be toxic, a few that is.

This is more than an interesting thread.

Alan

A Chinese Curse applies: "I hope you live in an interesting time."

Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  lngndvs at gmail.com

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
non-existent."
         ---Lord Raleigh (aka John William Strutt), or else his son,