[Coral-List] New and old knowledge

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Sun Aug 26 19:22:02 EDT 2007

Dear John,

I'm sorry that you seem to have completely misunderstood my ironic
note, which focused on the way that the media persistently
misrepresent as "new" studies that confirm what was well known, into
a personal attack on your work, which was certainly never intended. I
am sure that comes more from the fact that the media don't check
their sources, and so are very easily misled by public relations
press releases by universities, government institutions, and large
conservation groups, which claim that they have "discovered" "for the
first time" what are really long known phenomena. This is related to
their competition for scarce funds, and claims of novelty are
manufactured into news from which more funding can be sought. In
contrast, confirming what is already known is rarely popular, even
though it is crucial to building up the body of scientific knowledge.
As you point out, your papers don't claim that these are new
discoveries, so it is clear that the misinterpretation presumably
comes from those who placed these stories in the media.

You make many important points, both directly and unintentionally.
First let me make clear that I am in no way criticizing the
importance or quality of your work, which I am sure are excellent,
and I am delighted that they lend further support to what we have
known for decades, that rising temperatures are accelerating the pace
of the reef decline we see world-wide. Were it not for the fact that
both the (direct and indirect) negative effects of high temperatures
on corals and the very fact of reef decline were massively denied for
so long after they were blatantly obvious to all long term observers
(largely due to political agendas and efforts to control the funding
in order to "find out if there might be problem") such papers could
never be claimed to be new findings as much as refining and improving
the existing knowledge base. It is this massive denial for so long
that has prevented all efforts to reverse the decline, or to change
the focus to restoring the reefs that are so badly damaged almost
everywhere we look.

With regard to citations, well the decline of reefs in the Indian
Ocean and the Pacific, just like that of Caribbean, has been so long
known by all old divers that there are, as you point out, thousands
of studies documenting them practically everyplace where researchers
have gone. With regard to the effects of temperature on diseases, you
are quite right that the most widely cited paper claiming a link
between diseases and temperature does so without actual data, based
on a reasonable seeming hunch that the hotter it gets the more
stressed corals become, which intuitively seems likely to increase
the risk of disease or sensitivity to it. However, for over a decade
field researchers have consistently noted that almost all coral
diseases spread much more rapidly in the warm season, and slow down
or stop in the cool season, so there is a very large body of
empirical observations and time series photographs (such as the long
term photographs of Craig Quirolo of diseased corals near Key West,
and going back to time series photos my student Cy Macfarlane and I
took of the spread of Yellow Band Disease in Jamaica in the late
1980s before we recognized the disease symptoms, and mistakenly
thought this was delayed recovery from bleaching in certain corals).
This seasonal change is especially notable in the White Plague
diseases which I have seen all around the Caribbean, and the so
called White Death diseases that I have also personally seen all
across the Indian Ocean, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific, which is
also very sharply concentrated during the warm season in patches
where many different coral genera are affected, separated by large
areas where it is very rare. In terms of microbiological work
Rosenberg, Ben Haim, Kushmaro, Loya, and colleagues also showed in
numerous papers that Vibrio infections in the Red Sea and the
Mediterranean were much more virulent at high temperatures. At first
they thought the bacteria was causing bleaching (which also received
much press) but in fact it is now clear that the zooxanthellae are
not expelled but are degraded in situ by pathogen-induced programmed
cell death, as has been shown by Cervino and colleagues (including
Ray Hayes, Garriet Smith, myself, and several others) to be the case
in Yellow Band Disease. Cervino and our group then published several
papers showing that this disease, and several others, spread more
rapidly when it is warm, from both field studies and laboratory
infection experiments, and what is more important, that the pathogens
grew more rapidly at high temperatures, and were more virulent to the
coral at high temperatures. So, as you point out, it is well
documented that high temperature exacerbates many diseases.

Another very important point emerging from your comments is your view
that published papers are the only source of knowledge. In fact there
is much larger and older body of knowledge common to long term
divers, which it seems so many people seem to completely disregard.
There is so much peer-review published garbage out there that this
prejudice is hard to grasp, but basically there are very few
published conclusions in this field that are genuinely new, although
they is all too often presented that way for reasons of publicity,
careerism, and the difficulties of funding in a rat-eat-rat world,
resulting in the body of understanding that comes from long term
observers, whether committed to paper or not, becoming a resource
that is treated with ignorance, or worse, contempt by academic
researchers who have not been exposed to it. Basically it is only
when really new methods are applied that genuinely new conclusions
emerge, and the basic facts, that reefs are in severe world wide
decline and high temperatures are accelerating their loss, are not
among them. What is needed now is an end to claims that we need to
find out more about whether there might be a problem or not, and
focus on 1) stopping all the human caused stress factors known to
damage corals, 2) protecting the few areas left in good condition,
and 3) starting large scale coral reef restoration programs in the
vast degraded areas that are most divers and researchers, now see.
The deliberate denial has simply wasted decades in which governments
and funding agencies refused to act on what was well known in the
field, and while we will never recover the lost time, coral reefs now
just can't afford to lose more time for researchers rediscovering
what was already obvious.

Finally I'm sorry that your misperception that this was an attack on
you personally has led you to attack me, so it is important to set
the record straight on your completely unwarranted comments on my
"infamous" work. In late 1996 the Bonaire Marine Park asked James
Cervino and myself to look at a completely unprecedented phenomenon:
virtually all the large old coral heads in good health had in the
space of a few months been killed all over their tops. This had never
been seen before, and perfectly rounded corals hundreds of years old
were deformed in ways that indicated that this had never happened to
them before. We were baffled as to the causes but documented the
frequency, size, and change in time of the lesions on quantitative
transects, and  took microbiological samples from which Ray Hayes
identified a fungus. Afterwards Andy and Robin Bruckner documented
parrotfish biting attacks on these same corals, and found an old
paper that had escaped us all, documenting a similar episode some
decades before in Barbados. We confirmed the Bruckners finding, and
isolated the same fungus found on the edge of the coral lesions from
both the oral and anal cavity of parrotfish. Unfortunately the
cultures were later lost in a lab move caused by funding cuts (as I
recall), so we were never able to determine if the parrotfish was
transmitting the fungus or if it was present in the coral beforehand,
or if the fungus was a primary pathogen to corals, an attractant to
parrotfish, or an opportunistic infection. Following this episode,
the new lesions sharply declined in abundance and size, based on
transects that we followed around Bonaire and in other parts of the
Caribbean for around 5 years, and there have not been new outbreaks,
nor has the fungus been found in the small normal parrotfish lesions
now present. As a result almost all the surviving head corals, which
were once rounded in a way indicating historically uniform growth,
now have huge depressed tops with coral growth only around the edges
(at least until Yellow Band and White Plague kill them), a morphology
that was previously very rare. It is now clear that this was NOT
normal parrotfish biting, not only from the shapes of the corals, but
also because our major research sites were in a research preserve
where decades of time series quadrat photographs had been taken by
Rolf Bak, and where the world's longest and largest study of
parrotfish behavior had been carried out (decades long and with many
doctoral theses) without this phenomena being seen before. So far
from this being a normal result of parrotfish territorial marking,
this was a very rare and unusual event, whose cause remains unknown.
It has not happened again, but the Barbados evidence suggests that it
might.

Best wishes,
Tom

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD