[Coral-List] Oil palm plantation runoff and reef mortality

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Mon Aug 27 12:59:26 EDT 2007

Don Baker's and Achier Chung Fung Chen's comments about the large
amount of freshwater runoff into Borneio reefs from areas covered
with oil palm plantations raises some very interesting issues. Of
course it has been known for a long time that massive freshwater
discharges onto reefs can cause coral bleaching and mortality (T.
Goreau, 1963 in Jamaica, and Peter Glynn's and Carlos Goenaga's later
papers in Puerto Rico, for example), but this is much worse when it
is loaded with fertilizers, sewage, and agrochemicals.

However there is an interesting new wrinkle from a microbiological
standpoint. James Cervino and our team followed changes in large
sponge die off in New Guinea, and isolated a consortium of bacteria
from dying sponge tissue that did not occur on healthy tissue of the
same colonies. What was fascinating was that the rRNA sequencing
revealed that the putative pathogens were all very closely related to
species of bacteria widely used in sprays (some aerial) in oil palm
plantations as "good, friendly" bacteria in integrated pest
management, mainly species of Pseudomonas used against fungal
infections, and species of Bacillus used against insect pests,
including Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt).

Bt is widely used because it releases a crystal toxin that attacks
the membrane sodium ion transport enzyme in the stomachs of
invertebrates, causing them to die quickly from osmotic shock. The
receptor is common to almost all invertebrates, but does not occur in
vertebrates, so they are completely unaffected. Because humans,
mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes are not affected it is
regarded as "safe". However basically all insects are affected, along
with snails, and nematodes, but we could find no information about it
being tested on marine invertebrates at all. The fact that sponges
seem to be affected directly by these so called "good harmless"
bacteria (or by marine species so closely related to them that they
might have picked up their genes) implies that many other higher
marine invertebrates could too (but not fishes). Bt is widely used
around the world, and the gene for the crystal toxin is I believe
genetically engineered into many plants. The implications for the
marine environment are unexamined, but so potentially serious that
work urgently needs to be done on this. We have had to abandon this
work due to lack of funding. But it needs to be re-examined in the
light of what is being seen in Borneo. The events described in
Nonuti, Abemema, and the Maldives must have other explanations, though.

J. M. Cervino, K. Winiarski-Cervino, S.W. Polson, T.J. Goreau, & G.W.
Smith, 2006, Identification of bacteria associated with a disease
affecting the sponge Ianthella basta, in New Britain, Papua New
Guinea, MARINE ECOLOGY PROGRESS SERIES, 324: 139-150

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139