[Coral-List] "vertebrate chauvinism:" Not the problem

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Thu Aug 30 13:47:58 EDT 2007

Dear Will,

What I meant by vertebrate chauvinism is that Bt was approved based
on lack of impacts to vertebrates, and evidence of widespread impacts
on insects and soil fauna was downplayed, and while a little was done
on rivers, there seems to have been little or nothing on marine impacts.

It is great to hear there are groups out there working on these
impacts. There has been of course a focus on persistent organic
chemicals, and there the funding is never enough to keep up with the
new compounds being tested. Good luck to all those working in this
important area!

Best wishes,
Tom