[Coral-List] Bacillus thuringiensis - BBT Bees and Butterflies Threatened??

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 12:52:16 EDT 2007

I hate to derived things but I lived during the other
broad spectrum insecticide - maybe the same things and
we could identified it as BBt rather than Bt.

Foodchain and bioaccumulation issues may arise and how
about resistant invertebrates.  It seems we have been
here before.  We are still picking up levels of DDT in
harbor sediments and inverts 30 years after.

Maybe we should question our associates with the bees
and butterflies as to whther they have any evidence -
I would assume they would have recognized it and have
lots more money and clot to get something done.

Tom Williams

--- Thomas Goreau <goreau at bestweb.net> wrote:
> [...]

> "green"
> "environmentally responsible" integrated pest
> management (IPM)
> worldwide on grounds that no vertebrates are harmed,
> and seemingly
> that alone. This is pure vertebrate chauvinism!

> However there is nothing specific about it's action,
> it seems to kill
> practically all invertebrates indiscriminately, the
> good along with
> the bad, the essential recyclers and pollinators
> along with the
> pests, and as we now seem to be seeing the marine
> along with the
> terrestrial.
>
> Will Davis' points are also well taken. There are
> many strains, and I
> don't know if these have been shown to be more
> specific, but I
> suspect all are very broad-spectrum killers.
>
>   I think the key is that until we found it in dying
> marine sponges
> and looked at the literature, there seemed to be
> very little studies
> on the impacts on marine invertebrates, although
> soil snails and
> nematodes were killed, and as I recall, dragonfly
> larvae and other
> aquatic insects.
>
> What is clearly needed is to see if Bt is in waters
> draining oil palm
> plantations and other places where it is used, and
> specific tests of
> its effects against aquatic and marine invertebrates
> be carried out.
>
> We also found Pseudomonas in dying sponges almost
> identical to those
> used in oil palm plantations against fungal rust
> diseases. We don't
> know how specific this is, so the question is
> whether fungi that are
> essential in soil and aquatic mineral and nutrient
> cycling are also
> being affected.
>
> As far as the Pfisteria goes, this a very
> controversial topic, on
> which Alina's husband is an expert, and I am sure
> she will add to that.
>
> Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
> President
> Global Coral Reef Alliance
> 37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139
> 617-864-4226
> goreau at bestweb.net
> http://www.globalcoral.org
>

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:09:13 -0400
> > From: Gene Shinn <eshinn at marine.usf.edu>
> > Subject: [Coral-List] Pal Oil plantation and
> Bacillus thurigiensis in
> > 	sponges
> > To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
> >
> > Tom, The pathogen, Bacillus thuringiensis,  you
> identified in dead
> > sponges was  cultured and identified in African
> dust reaching the
> > Caribbean in 2003. It is used to control
> mosquitoes in north Africa.
> > Gene
> >
> > Atmospheric microbiology in the northern Caribbean

<4E15FCC7981F7A4CA5AA0DEF4B2141C90F8DA9FF at UNCWMAILVS2.dcs.uncw.edu>

<fc.000f7aeb0e90755c000f7aeb0e90755c.e907925 at csumb.edu>

> > According to "Environmental Politics and Policy"
> by Walter A.
> > Rosenbaum, the microbe Pfiestreia piscicida caused
> a "sudden,
> > dramatic increase in fish kills between 1991 and
> 1993 within North
> > Carolina's vast estuaries."  Along with large
> numbers of
> > dead fish, there was a strong smell that burned
> the eyes and nose,
> > but it was not that of dead fish.  The cause of
> the deaths was
> > intially assumed due to anoxic water.  However,
> research found high
> > levels of nitrogen and phosophorus caused a
> > population explosion in P piscicida.  The microbe
> population
> > infected the fish, which lead to the die-off.  A
> quick web search
> > shows this was not an isolated incident.  After
> reading the
> > discussion on Coral List regarding the Lankayan
> Island
> > incident, I think a microbe is the most likely
> suspect in this "who-
> > done-it."
> >
> > Jeremy

> > Message: 6