[Coral-List] Bleaching qustions

sumitro sen sumitro.sen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:02:45 EDT 2007

Dear All,
Hello, my name is Sumitro Sen and I am Post Graduated in Marine
Biology, Podicherry
University, India. Presently I am working on coral reef ecosystem in Indian
waters. I was wondering if anyone can put insight of these questions, in
respect to coral bleaching.

What does happen to Zooxanthellae when they are expelled out by their host?
Do they die!

At what stage of coral (polyp) life Zooxanthellae enters into coral tissue
and what is the mechanism process behind this?

How many types of Zooxanthellae are symbiotic in nature?

What is the mechanism behind when bleached coral bounce back after a certain
while if the favorable conditions support for recovering?

I have found some journal articles regarding this topic but they usually are
studies on bleaching stress and climatic condition.

Can anyone suggest me some journal articles reference? Or where should I
look into?

Thank you for your time all.

Sumitro Sen
Pondicherry Univeristy,