[Coral-List] Sunscreen effect on corals

Curtis Kruer kruer at 3rivers.net
Tue Dec 4 13:41:30 EST 2007

Sara,

Maybe there's a reason that there is no research or no data on that
subject.  It ranks right up there with swimmers urinating and microbes
in wet suits as concerns of impacts to corals.  I'd suggest that
research into direct anthropogenic impacts to corals focus on anchor
damage, physical impacts of careless divers, trap fisheries that drop 40
lb traps onto coral and wrap poly line around them, illegal harvesting,
dredging, siltation, groundings, etc.  Maybe if we could get
universities and other programs  to bite the bullet and focus on
difficult real world  issues we could gain some ground.

Just a thought.

C. Kruer