[Coral-List] [SPAM] More on interesting interactions between divers and reefs

Charles Delbeek delbeek at waquarium.org
Wed Dec 5 17:17:40 EST 2007

John Ware wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> True there has been quite a number of studies on the interaction of
> divers with reefs.  The one that I have not seen is the effect of diver
> lead.  (Yes, I know that lead and lead salts are generally considered
> insoluble).
>
> However, a year or two ago I was told that the Island of Bonaire Marine
> Park Authority was considering a ban on uncoated lead weights.  All
> divers would be required to use coated weights.
>
> This might be one of those 'urban myths'.  Perhaps someone from the MPA
> could respond.
>
> Where does it end??
>
> John

Actually, I would think looking at the amount of lead weight from
abandoned fishing lines would have a more significant potential impact
than diver's weights. For example, one of our divers recently took part
in a lead fishing weight recovery effort with 10 other divers. With 11
people doing two dives each, they recovered over 220 pounds of lead
fishing weights at one dive site on Oahu.

Aloha!

--
J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.
Aquarium Biologist III