[Coral-List] [SPAM] More on interesting interactions between divers and reefs

Joe Schittone Joe.Schittone at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 11 12:30:53 EST 2007

Guys come on...though I respect what my friends Skip (Martin) & Dave
have said, is this really something we need to be fretting about? My
copy of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, in one of the tables
in Section 4 "Properties of the Elements and Inorganic Compounds," lists
lead as insoluble, though it is soluble in "concentrated acid." But the
ocean is everywhere basic (except under very localized  influence).
There are still lead pipes installed in Roman times in service today.
OK, so maybe there can be something in the marine environment that
causes degradation. Can a marine chemist help us out here?

Meanwhile, given everything else happening with coral, I repeat--Is this
truly something we need to spend time worrying about, or should it more
properly be categorized in the realm of urban myth?
Joe