[Coral-List] [SPAM] Looking for information about the association between groupers and sweepers (Michael Arvedlund)

Charles Delbeek delbeek at waquarium.org
Tue Dec 11 14:39:40 EST 2007

Bruce Carlson wrote:
> Michael,
>
> The grouper that you see in association with the Parapriacanthus
> sweepers is Aethaloperca rogaa.  I was searching for sweepers for an
> exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium and used sightings of the grouper to
> direct my attention to locations where the sweepers might be found.
> However, I also found that this grouper is not always found with
> sweepers so if there is an association of some sort it is not
> obligatory.  Another possibility is that the grouper is specialized
> in some way to feed upon Parapriacanthus or similar fishes.
>
> Bruce
>

> On Dec 10, 2007, at 11:24 AM, coral-list-request at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
> wrote:
>

>> Looking for information about the association between
>>       groupers and sweepers (Michael Arvedlund)

By staying under the overhang the grouper also is sheltered and the
school of fish around it would also help conceal it from potential prey
or predators. Or it could just be that both species just happen to use
the same sheltered habitat during the day and they have no association
beyond that.

Aloha!

--
J. Charles Delbeek M.Sc.