[Coral-List] More on interesting interactions between divers and reefs

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 10:12:08 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Joe Schittone <Joe.Schittone at noaa.gov>
To: Martin Moe <martin_moe at yahoo.com>; coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:30:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] [SPAM] More on interesting interactions between divers and reefs

Guys come on...though I respect what my friends Skip (Martin) &
Dave have said, is this really something we need to be fretting about?
My copy of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, in one of the
tables in Section 4 "Properties of the Elements and Inorganic
Compounds," lists lead as insoluble, though it is soluble in
"concentrated acid." But the ocean is everywhere basic (except under
very localized  influence). There are still lead pipes installed in
Roman times in service today. OK, so maybe there can be something in
the marine environment that causes degradation. Can a marine chemist
help us out here?

Meanwhile, given everything else happening with coral, I repeat--Is
this truly something we need to spend time worrying about, or should it
more properly be categorized in the realm of urban myth?

Joe

Martin Moe wrote:

  On lead.
I have a friend down here in the Florida Keys who, as a youth, collected in one summer enough lead sinkers lost by fisherman off the Channel 2 bridge to cast a keel weight for a sailboat (don't know the quantitative details) and also in those years he and several friends collected and sold lead sinkers from below these bridge areas in quantities large enough to nicely sustain themselves during the summer months. The sinkers would accumulate in depressions and by rocks and were easy to find and collect. They don't collect these sinkers any more, I don't know if anyone does so these days, I haven't seen such activity, but there are still very many fishermen that use these bridges and also fish from boats in these channels so it may still be a lucrative part time endeavor. It is also not at all unusual to find lead sinkers in coral reef areas (usually attached to a substantial length of monofilament fishing line), And of course there is the poisoning of
 water fowl from the lead shot that accumulates in wet lands. And in marine aquariums I have noticed that lead weights used to anchor artificial plants seem to waste away over time. So lead in the aquatic environment seems to be an issue, maybe biochemically, but certainly in particulate form, especially with attached fishing line in coral reef areas.

Martin