[Coral-List] WHAT CAN WE DO?? Research Carbon Footprints??

Tom Williams ctwiliams at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 16:09:59 EST 2007

What can we do specific in Coral List??

Who is working on Global Warming>Currents>SST>Coral??
Currents>pH>TDS>Calcium Carbonate??

Is there any compendia for GW/GHG/Acidity/Corals
studies??

Judith Lang <jlang at riposi.net> wrote:  BIT TOO GENERAL
Tom Williams raises an important question when he
asks: "WHAT CAN WE DO??," now that the risk from
carbon emissions to coral reefs and those who depend
upon them for their livelihoods is receiving some
well-deserved publicity.

Summary
reduce how much fossil fuel we consume, both
   directly  fuel
   indirectly   AC, heating, and hot water,
       paper, plastic bags, electronic trinkets,
       exotic foods, etc.

Above - TOO GENERAL and not pointed at Coral List

Minimize
  work-related travel
  fulfill our research and educational needs
BETTER

discretionary income CAN spend some on
carbon-offset programs
helps nourish impoverished  soils,
provides food, fuel or income for poor communities.
GENERAL - BUT SOME FOCUS FOR CORAL LIST

CoralList would be a good way to reduce paper movement
- although I would hate to see Jim's carbon trail for
managing the list.

EXAMPLE - MAY BE IMPORTANT  TO CORAL LIST
DO WE ESTIMATE OUR CARBON FOOTPRINT FOR RESEARCH??

NOAA Undersea Research Center at the University of
North Carolina Wilmington requests
pre-proposals for coral reef and
reef-related ocean acidification research in
  southeast U.S.
  Gulf of Mexico
with
  In situ field component
  Undersea system time
  support vessel time

CAN NOAA FOCUS SOME OF THE ABOVE TO INCLUDE "GLOBAL
WARMING" - CURRENT - SST:ACIDIFCATION ???

Tom Williams