[Coral-List] Waste management resources and databases for widerCaribbean region

Nic Barnard nbarnard at icran.org
Wed Feb 7 06:36:00 EST 2007

Dear Milton, Listers,

The ICRAN-Mesoamerican Reef Alliance (MAR) Project has a large watershed management component through which studies have been conducted to link patterns of land use within watersheds to the impacts on the Mesoamerican Reef, develop diagnostic tools to predict future trends in land use and sediment transport, develop measurable soil and water standards, and develop better management practices in collaboration with independent farming communities and the agro-industry for bananas, citrus, palm oil, pineapple and sugar cane crops. Activites are on-going in Belize, Honduras, Mexico and Guatemala.

Further information can be found on the website:
www.icranmar.org

Nicola Barnard
Programme Officer
International Coral Reef Action Network (ICRAN)
c/o UNEP - WCMC
219 Huntingdon Road
Cambridge  CB3 0DL
United Kingdom
+44 (0)1223 277314

>>> "SouthernCaribbean.Org" <southern_caribbean at yahoo.com> 02/06/07 01:53pm >>>
As part of our local ICZM Aruba program (www.iczmaruba.org) and its parent Southern Caribbean program for ICZM in the Caribbean (www.southerncaribbeanorg) we are in search of resources and databases for use in a comparative analysis (quantitative and qualitative analyis) of the Southern part of the Wider Caribbean.

  We are looking in particular for Solid Waste Management resources to be able to compare SWM collection, recycling, processing, disposal and storage policies, rates and fees for residential and industrial waste collection.

  We are also looking for resoruces and databases with regard to waste collection (solid and liquid wastes) in ports and corresponding MARPOL port reception facilities, again including also on fees charged.

  And finally we are looking for resoruces and databases detailing land based sources of contamination and waste, including sewage, agricultural and urban runoff, and their documented effects on marine ecosystems in the Caribbean.

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International)
Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Web Sites: http://www.southerncaribbean.org
http://www.rainbowwarriors.net (Global)
http://www.ecoaruba.com (Aruba)

To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life