[Coral-List] removal of organics from carbonate sand for particle size analysis

Ling Ong ongl at hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 9 18:27:09 EST 2007

I am looking for a viable method to remove mainly algae from the
sand particles  in parrotfish guts to determine the sand particle sizes
that parrotfish create. I am thinking of either ashing at 450 deg C or
using sodium hypochlorite. Does anyone have any input? I have read that
CaC03 may still vaporize at 450 deg C while sodium chlorite is fairly
stable with CaCO3.

I'm also a little confused as to the times to use, ashing
times have ranged from 5mins to an hour, and for sodium hypochlorite, from
15 mins with boiling to 3 days without boiling. How does one know when
the organics are
really gone and when to stop?

Regards,
Ling Ong