[Coral-List] Underwater Drill

Kristen Hoss kristenhoss at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 18:36:11 EST 2007

A.J.

  Vone Research has used inexpensive (about $30.00) pneumatic drills from Home Depot attached to the low pressure side of the regulator which was then attached to SCUBA tanks to drill holes in cement underwater.  The tank does not last long; however, we were drilling 1/2 inch holes 6 to 8 inches deep. It took a tank that held 80 cubic feet of air to drill 3 holes of that diameter.  We cut an inflator hose and clamped a quick release valve onto it with a hose clamp and attached that to the drill.

  The drill will only work 1 to 2 days, and should be soaked in fresh water after use in salt water.

  If you would like further assistance, please feel free to contact us-

  Kristen Hoss
  Vone Research
  Pompano Beach, FL

Hajime Kayanne <kayanne at eps.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
  Dear A.J.

If you still want to drill underwater by using a hand-pneumatic drill,
You may refer to:
Adachi and Abe (2003) "Air drill" for submerged massive coral
drilling. Mar. Tech. Soc. J., 37(2) 31-36.

Best wishes,
Hajime

At 1:25 PM +0000 07.2.14, aj.martignette at comcast.net wrote:
>I have to drill some holes in pilings for large bolts that will be
>used to mount water quality sensors. I would like to avoid having to
>drill them with a hand drill. I know that you can use a pneumatic
>drill hooked up to a scuba tank. I was wondering if anyone had
>details on a setup they use and any modifications that are needed to
>the drill.
>
>Thanks
>
>A.J. Martignette
>Research Assistant
>Marine Laboratory
>Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation
>900A Tarpon Bay Rd.
>Sanibel, Fl 33957

Hajime Kayanne
Dept Earth & Planetary Science, Univ Tokyo