[Coral-List] Identity of blue octocoral off NC?? AND the true identity of Antheila edmondsoni

Phil Alderslade Phil.Alderslade at nt.gov.au
Wed Feb 21 22:51:40 EST 2007

Charles and other readers,

Just to clear up the Anthelia edmondsoni identity.    As quoted, in 2000 I proposed a split in the Anthelia species.   Some were retained in Anthelia and others with a different sclerite form were placed in a new genus Sansibia.  However, I do not believe Anthelia edmondsoni is either an Anthelia or a Sansibia.  It should resort to its original name of Sarcothelia edmondsoni, and the species appears to be endemic to Hawaii.

Cheers,

Phil Alderslade