[Coral-List] Underwater Drill Oil Toxicity

Alan E. Davis lngndvs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:30:43 EST 2007

I ordinarily just lurk on this list.  I hope I am not out of my place
in suggesting to look for "refined vegetable oil."  I have seen
reference somewhere, don't remember where.  I am hoping to use it for
my knife sharpening stones, since vegetable cooking oil seems to go
rancid.  Don't know whether this is relevant.

Alan Davisew

On 2/23/07, Daniel J Barshis <barshis at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> Dear Listers,
>       I have also successfully used an inexpensive pneumatic drill for coring massive corals underwater.  We have used the same drill for three years now, keeping it alive by total submersion in pneumatic tool oil between uses.  After a recent discussion with a colleague from the University of Hong Kong, it was brought to my attention that pneumatic tool oil and many other oil and hydrocarbon lubricants can be quite toxic to the reef environment and that common household vegetable oil works just as efficiently at keeping the drill lubricated with minimal toxicity levels.  I have tried in the past to wash my tools thoroughly before use but it's quite hard to remove all traces of the toxic oil.  Just a suggestion in hopes that we can tailor our methods and practices to reduce our impact on the environment we enjoy working in as much as possible.
> Cheers,
> dan barshis
>
> Department of Zoology
> University of Hawaii at Manoa
> 2538 McCarthy Mall, Edmondson 152
> Honolulu, HI 96822
> www.hawaii.edu/coral
> barshis at hawaii.edu

Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  lngndvs at gmail.com     1-670-256-2043

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it.
--------Richard Stallman

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute
rejection of authority.  ----- Thomas H. Huxley

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a
while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.
         -- Jamie Lawrence.