[Coral-List] Morays eating crabs

Keven reedkc at comcast.net
Wed Jan 3 10:03:21 EST 2007

Dear Michelle,
    Which species of moray is it?  The crab eating zebra moray of the Pacific, Gymnomuraena zebra, is known for its molar-like dentition, vice other morays' more canine-like dental work.  I've seen G. zebra diving in the Hawaiian Islands and in the Ryukyu Islands between Taiwan and mainland Japan.

    While I haven't seen G. zebra 'on the beach', I have photographed it in shallow coral tidepools, under bright sunlight on Okinawa.  If you send me your photo, I'll send you my slide of the zebra moray in a daytime tidepool, where I presumed it was foraging, vice merely being trapped by low tide.
Thanks,
Keven

Keven Reed
1651 Country Walk Drive