[Coral-List] Shading corals / Preventing mass bleaching

Alexandra Barron alexandra.barron at banyantree.com
Sat Jan 6 00:14:15 EST 2007

Dear List,

I was wondering if any one might help us by sharing their ideas or
techniques for shading corals to reduce bleaching. In 1997/98 our house
reef was essentially destroyed in the mass bleaching event driven by the
El Nino induced conditions. Our reef has 'recovered' although still not
at it's former glory. We are anticipating similar problems this year
with an extremely hot and dry six months forecast and would like to try
to negate or alleviate impacts caused by environmental conditions. We
are currently monitoring environmental conditions, including sea
temperature, air temperature, cloud cover, UV index, wind and sea state.
In addition to this we carefully manage the reef to ensure that all
other aspects of its condition remain optimal for health.

Has anyone tried any means of protecting or shading corals which they
would be kind enough to share with us, if it is part of ongoing research
we could perhaps collaborate on the project and assist in collecting
data. Or does anyone know of, or have any, ideas of how we might go
about this.

I would like to thank you for your time and your help, and look forward
to your replies,

Best fishes,

Lex

Alexandra Barron

Manager, Marine Lab

< }}}><

Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, N Male' Atoll, Maldives

Tel. (960) 664 31 47

Fax. (960) 664 38 43

Email. alexandra.barron at banyantree.com

Web. www.banyantree.com

Travel back in time to the enchanting world of Lijiang's old town, a
UNESCOWorld Heritage Site. Discover the luxury of Chinese courtyard
living at Banyan Tree Lijiang. Visit www.banyantree.com
<http://www.banyantree.com/>  <http://www.banyantree.com/>

"This message is confidential and intended for recipient(s) named here.
If you are not an intended recipient for this message, please forward
this back to the sender then delete this message from your system. For
clarification or assistance, please call +960 664 3147"