[Coral-List] African Americans in marine science today

Janice Sessing Janice.Sessing at noaa.gov
Sun Jan 21 11:54:18 EST 2007

Chandra:

I am sure this information exists somewhere ... for starters, see the
story from AAAS about NOAA's Educational Partnership Program with
Minority Serving Institutions (EPP/MSI) [http://epp.noaa.gov/]. The
program focuses on minorities as defined by the US Department of
Education, i.e., African Americans to Pacific Islanders.  This issue of
lack of minorities in the marine sciences is of concern to many
organizations and agencies such NSF, DOE, AAAS, and of course, NOAA.

AAAS story
http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_development/previous_issues/articles/3430/noaa_program_impacts_minority_serving_institutions

Good luck, janice