[Coral-List] coral sedimentation thresholds for dredge induced sedimentation

Jeremy J. Sofonia jeremy at sofonia.com
Sat Jan 27 11:11:15 EST 2007

Hi Andrew,

Here are a few more references for your review/ consideration:

Raaymakers, S. and J. Oliver.  1993.  Advances in reactive monitoring
– The 1993 Townsville Port Development.  Reef Research.  17:21.

Dodge, R.E. and J.R. Vaisnys.  1977.  Coral populations and growth
patterns:  Responses to sedimentation and turbidity associated with
dredging.  Journal of Marine Research.  Vol. 35, no. 4: 715-730.

Brown, B.E., M.D.A. Le Tissier, T.P. Scoffin, and A.W. Tudhope.
1990.  Evaluation of the environmental impact of dredging on
intertidal coral reefs at Ko Phuket, Thailand, using ecological and
physiological parameters.  Marine Ecology Progress Series.  Vol.
65:273-281.

Berkelmans, R.  1993.  The Heron Island monitoring program: A
synopsis.  Reef Research.  Vol. 21:3-7.

Marszalek, D.S.  1981.  Impact of dredging on a subtropical reef
community, southeast Florida, U.S.A.  Proceedings of the Fourth
International Coral Reef Symposium, Manila.  Vol. 1:147-153.

Sheppard, C.  1980.  Coral fauna of Diego Garcia lagoon following
harbor construction.  Marine Pollution Bulletin.  Vol. 11: 227-230.

Of these, some site dredging as the source for coral impact while
others do not.  Note, however, that some of those that do site
deleterious impacts are often missing data on pre-dredging (i.e.
baseline) conditions and/or data on natural variation.  Raaymakers &
Oliver, 1993 is a good example though, and is often sited as a model
for assessing dredge related impacts.

Honestly though, I wold suggest you do not  depend on these
references or the values suggested from other studies in regard to
sediment 'thresholds' and their relationship to coral health.  This
is a very site specific relationship depending on multiple factors
including local/ regional environmental conditions (including
sediment characteristics) and the type/ life history of the species
present.  Collecting sufficient baseline data (particularly over
seasons) as well as geotechnical information is key.  Numerical
modelling of potential dredge plumes is also a useful tool, and I
would also strongly recommend a fairly robust water quality
monitoring program...

Apologies for rambling on a bit, it's just that impact assessment
from dredging works is a good portion of my working life.  I'm
currently involved in two projects down here in Australia.  Rest
assured, folks here (government through to client) take this very
seriously.  I'd be interested to learn more about your project and
discuss further if that would be helpful.

Good luck,

Jeremy

JEREMY J. SOFONIA
Senior Marine & Environmental Consultant
SKM Australia Pty. Ltd.

7th Floor, Durack Centre
263 Adelaide Terrace
Perth, WA 6000