[Coral-List] Dredging

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Mon Jan 29 13:28:24 EST 2007

From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Sofonia
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:47 PM
To: Andrew_Jamieson at URSCorp.com
Cc: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] coral sedimentation thresholds for dredge
inducedsedimentation

Andrew,

Wanted to add:

Also important in estimating potential impacts to benthic primary
producers is the type of dredge (e.g. cutter suction, trailer hopper,
etc.), the size of the dredge (m^3), it's power, it's proximity to
sensitive resources (such as corals), and the duration/ frequency they
are operating.  Other operational details such as of 'side- casting' and
'overflow' rates can also have significant effects (positive or
negative).  Obviously spoil disposal locations and methods should also
considered, but keeping in mind that sediments released during disposal
will behave differently than those suspended during cutting (i.e. less
fines).

If the program is to run in a working port facility, you'll want to look
at how local conditions are affected by ongoing operations such as
berthing and other vessel movements (e.g. tugs can kick up a fair bit of
sediment/ turbidity in shallow areas).  Contamination such as TBT or
heavy metals is not uncommon and proper disposal of these materials also
requires some forethought.

Potential impacts to whales and other cetacens, as well as marine
turtles should also be investigated.  These can be both direct (e.g.
physical impact) and indirect (e.g. acoustic, lighting).  Seasonal
timing of operations is therefore a key avoidance/ minimization measure.

Certainly a lot to think about, but with early (and regular)
consultation with your environmental authorities, clear communication
with the proponent, and some good science, the successful management of
these types of programs is certainly possible.

Hope this was of some help,

Jeremy

JEREMY J. SOFONIA
Senior Marine & Environmental Consultant SKM Australia Pty. Ltd.

7th Floor, Durack Centre
263 Adelaide Terrace
Perth, WA 6000

http://www.skm.com.au