[Coral-List] Job vacancy - Marine Lab Manager/Marine Biologist - closing date sat 10th July

Alexandra Barron alexandra.barron at banyantree.com
Wed Jul 4 01:50:37 EDT 2007

Dear All,

Please note that closing date for applications for the position advertised
below is Saturday 10th July. Any interested parties remaining should submit
their application (resume and cover letter) to
alexandra.barron at banyantree.com for consideration as soon as possible.

Best regards

Alex

> [...]
>>> through marine biology classes and
>>>
>>>             fieldwork.
>>>
>>>      ii. Expand knowledge and skills base of resort staff regarding
>>> environmental awareness & appropriate
>>>
>>>             behaviours.
>>>
>>>      iii. To create and develop educational materials as required
>>>
>>> Training of Marine Lab Staff regarding
>>>
>>>      i. Increasing relevant knowledge through internal lessons and training
>>> sessions
>>>
>>>      ii. Acquisition of necessary project management and scientific skills
>>> such as data collection and analysis
>>>
>>>      iii. Up to date scientific research initiatives and scientific
>>> knowledge
>>>
>>>      iv. The framework for initiating (sustainable) projects
>>>
>>>      v. Education of other groups as outlined in section B.
>>>
>>>  Information Dissemination
>>>
>>>      i. To communicate Marine Lab activities to resort guests and visitors
>>> through regular newsletters and
>>>
>>>             written information displayed in the noticeboard
>>>
>>>      ii. To communicate Marine Lab activities to Head Office in Singapore
>>> through whatever means
>>>
>>>             necessary
>>>
>>>      iii. To communicate Marine Lab activities to the public through press
>>> releases, reports and articles that
>>>
>>>             can be fed through the corporate PR network
>>>
>>> Communication Networking
>>>
>>>      i. To increase the Marine Lab position by liaising and initiating
>>> communications and collaborative projects
>>>
>>>             with relevant scientific groups or individuals. This is to be
>>> done in consultation with the Director of
>>>
>>>             Conservation.
>>>
>>>      ii. To maintain contact with the scientific community and to stay up to
>>> date with current research efforts,
>>>
>>>             scientific knowledge and other related matters.
>>>
>>>      iii. To liaise with existing scientific / research partners to oversee
>>> research and maintain continual
>>>
>>>             communication to ensure the success of research initiatives and
>>> projects.
>>>
>>>      iv. To expand awareness of the Marine Lab and communicating
>>> environmental consciousness in the
>>>
>>>             host country by establishing links with schools etc, to conduct
>>> workshops/lessons and organize
>>>
>>>             activities to achieve this goal.
>>>
>>>  PERFORMANCE EVALUATION CRITERIA
>>>
>>> 1.    Welfare and condition of all research projects and facilities,
>>> including captive animals
>>>
>>> 2.    Accuracy, rigor and consistency of data collection, analysis and other
>>> administration
>>>
>>> 3.    Successful operation of Lab research efforts and general duties,
>>> including guest relations
>>>
>>> 4.    Production of reports, assessments and publications, including
>>> presentation of work at scientific conferences
>>>
>>> 5.    Feedback from visiting scientists / research partners
>>>
>>> 6.    Guest comments and interactions (inc. generation of revenue for lab)
>>>
>>> 7.    Safety record of Marine Lab operations, staffs and guests.
>>>
>>> 8.    Interdepartmental relations and cooperative efforts
>>>
>>> 9.    Punctuality, personal presentation and productivity

>>> 1. Educatedto at least degree level in marine biology or related/relevant
>>> discipline.
>>> 2. Min.4 years experience working in conservation and/or scientific
>>> researchfield.
>>> 3. Atleast 1 years experience in team leadership/management and
>>> projectmanagement.
>>> 4. Fluentin english, both spoken and written.
>>> 5. Excellentwritten and verbal communication skills.
>>> 6. Experiencewriting formal and scientific reports.
>>> 7. Broadknowledge of tropical marine life / ecosystems as well as global
>>> conservationissues.
>>> 8. Mustbe a strong swimmer/ comfortable in the water.
>>>

>>> Desirable
>>> 1. Mastersdegree or higher in a relevant discipline.
>>> 2. PADIopen water qualified scuba diver.
>>> 3. Experienceliving/working abroad for prolonged periods.
>>> 4. Goodunderstanding or fluency in other European or Asian languages
>>> asignificant advantage.
>>> 5. Experienceworking in public relations, customer service industry or
>>> hospitalityindustry also an advantage.
>>>

>>> Banyan Tree Marine Lab
>>> Banyan Tree Marine Lab is a small, independent research facility based on
>>> the resort islands Banyan Tree Maldives Vabbinfaru and Angsana Maldives
>>> Ihuru in North Male atoll. We are primarily funded by Banyan Tree Hotels and
>>> Resorts, a Singapore based company with an excellent environmental and
>>> social responsibility ethos, and through the Green Imperitive Fund (an
>>> optional and small nightly surcharge paid by guests which is matched by the
>>> resort). Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru is an exclusive, luxury resort island
>>> comprising 49 individual guest villas and recreational facilities.
>>>
>>> The Marine Lab has been in operation since 2001, in 2004 the Lab itself was
>>> expanded, now comprising a two room facility (wet lab and dry lab) manned by
>>> a team of five people fulfilling various operational roles including a
>>> direcor of conservation, 2 marine environment officers and a Corporate
>>> Social Responsibility representative. The lab currently manages several
>>> research and conservation projects looking at a variety of aspects of our
>>> reef environment and resident species including;  reef management, surveys
>>> and coral cultivation, stingray research, green sea turtle head start and
>>> tracking work, and environmental education, among many others. Many of our
>>> projects are conducted in collaboration with members of the international
>>> scientific community.
>>>
>>> For more information on the Marine Lab and the projects please visit
>>> http://www.banyantree.com/dive/index.htm
>>>

>>> Alexandra Barron
>>> Manager, Marine Lab
>>>
>>> < }}}><
>>>
>>> Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, N Male' Atoll, Maldives
>>> Tel. (960) 664 31 47
>>> Fax. (960) 664 38 43
>>> Email. alexandra.barron at banyantree.com
>>> Web. www.banyantree.com
>>>

>>>  <http://www.banyantree.com/hotdeals/madivaru.htm>
>>>
>>> P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
>>>

>>> "This message is confidential and intended for recipient(s) named here.
>>> If you are not an intended recipient for this message, please forward
>>> this back to the sender then delete this message from your system. For
>>> clarification or assistance, please call +960 664 3147"
>>>
>>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> To leave the CTURTLE list,
>>> send a message to: listserv at LISTS.UFL.EDU with the message: signoff CTURTLE
>>>
>>> If you experience difficulty, send an email to:
>>> CTURTLE-request at LISTS.UFL.EDU
>>> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>>

> Alexandra Barron
> Manager, Marine Lab
>
> < }}}><
>
> Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, N Male' Atoll, Maldives
> Tel. (960) 664 31 47
> Fax. (960) 664 38 43
> Email. alexandra.barron at banyantree.com
> Web. www.banyantree.com
>

>  <http://www.banyantree.com/hotdeals/madivaru.htm>

> "This message is confidential and intended for recipient(s) named here.
> If you are not an intended recipient for this message, please forward
> this back to the sender then delete this message from your system. For
> clarification or assistance, please call +960 664 3147"

<< image.jpg >>

------ End of Forwarded Message