[Coral-List] healthy reefs publication available

Melanie McField mcfield at wwfca.org
Mon Jul 23 12:06:15 EDT 2007

We are pleased to announce our recent publication: "Healthy Reefs for
Healthy People: A Guide to Indicators of Reef Health and Social Well-being
in the Mesoamerican Reef Region." The guide is the product of a
multi-institutional effort in which many experts contributed. It is intended
to move us beyond conventional metrics of biological and ecological health
by connecting ecosystem processes with human activity, such that we
ultimately make better management decisions for improved ecosystem health
and human well-being in the Mesoamerican Reef Ecosystem.The Guide is now
available on the healthy reefs website www.healthyreefs.org
<http://www.healthyreefs.org/>   You can download the full PDF version (~6
Mbyts @ low-resolution)  or just review the sections of interest in a page
by page PDF format. (see the attached flyer for more details)

The Spanish version of the Guide will soon be produced, and should be
available sometime in the fall in both printed and digital versions. We have
limited printed copies for organizations working with environmental and
social indicators in the Mesoamerican reef region. Contact Melanie McField
(mcfield at healthyreefs.org) for more information. We can also send out CD
versions of the Guide upon request for those unable to download the file.

To keep a fluid communication among scientists and practitioners interested
in the health and integrity of the Mesoamerican Reef, we will also set up a
blog center on the website.  The blog will serve as an open and readily
accessible platform to discuss and debate issues related to the indicators,
data analysis and interpretation. We welcome your feedback, including any
additional data and corrections. We encourage you to keep an eye on the
website and participate when the blog is launched in the near future.

Sincerely,

Melanie McField and Patricia Kramer

-
Melanie McField, PhD
Coordinator, Healthy Reefs for Healthy People Initiative
Smithsonian Institution
1061 Queen Helmut St, Belize City, Belize, Central America
tel 501-223-7680  fax 501-223-7681
email: mcfield at healthyreefs.org  or mcfieldm at si.edu
www.healthyreefs.org <http://www.healthyreefs.org/>
www.mnh.si.edu <http://www.mnh.si.edu/>

Join the International Society for Reef Studies
www.fit.edu/isrs/