[Coral-List] Session on "Ridge-to-Reefs" at Ocean Sciences 2008

Mike Field mfield at usgs.gov
Mon Jul 23 13:01:21 EDT 2007

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>      The theme of the 2008 Ocean Science meeting in Orlando is "From
>the Watershed to the Global Ocean" , and in keeping with that theme,
>we have organized a session on Ridge-To-Reef: Impacts of Watershed
>Change on Tropical Coastal Ecosystems. We are seeking abstracts for
>the session that present new ideas and findings on natural and
>human-induced changes in watersheds, the sources and transport paths
>of sediment to the nearshore, and the effects of changing delivery
>systems to coral reefs, mangroves, and other habitats. Contributions
>that address physical processes, models, and biologic impacts will
>be very much welcomed, either as posters or talks!

We recognize that this meeting precedes the important 2008 ICRS
meeting, also in Florida, by only four months. We are especially
encouraging Caribbean reef researchers to participate in this meeting
as well as it will provide an expanded opportunity to fully explore
the issues related to land-use and reef health.

>Information about the meeting and can be found at
>http://aslo.org/meetings/orlando2008/  The Call for Papers and
>information for abstact submission (**DUE OCTOBER 2**) will be
>issued soon.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Mike Field (mfield at usgs.gov),
>Matt Larsen (mlarsen at usgs.gov)
>Jon Stock (jstock at usgs.gov)
>

>   Ocean Sciences Meeting (with AGU, TOS), Orlando, FL, March 2-7, 2008
>   Abstract deadline: October 2, 2007
>
>    SESSION TITLE: Ridge-To-Reef: Impacts of Watershed Change on Tropical
>    Coastal Ecosystems
>
>    CO-CONVENERS: Michael Field, Matthew Larsen and Jonathan Stock, USGS
>
>    DESCRIPTION
>    Accelerating landscape changes in tropical watersheds are supplying
>    increasing amounts of fine sediment to nearshore ecosystems.
>    Agriculture, feral grazing, fires, and urbanization are altering the
>    ecology, hydrology, geomorphology of tropical watersheds, resulting in
>    drastic changes in the character, transport processes and volume of
>    sediment delivered to coastal reef and nearshore environments. It is
>    well accepted that reefs and other nearshore ecosystems in the US and
>    globally are declining from a number of poorly understood impacts, and
>    that sedimentation and nutrification are major contributors to that
>    decline. Addressing these threats requires a coupled understanding of
>    watershed and nearshore processes, including transport pathways through
>    hillslopes and channels, the  fate of sediment and nutrients in the
>    nearshore, and ecosystem responses (e.g., coral reef or mangrove
>    ecological response to sediment loading).
>       This session will focus on new advancements in understanding the
>    causes, sources, and transport of sediment, pollutants and nutrients
>    from altered tropical coastal watersheds and their fate and impact on
>    adjacent tropical coastal ecosystems. Contributions of case studies,
>    development of new technologies, and application of models that provide
>    improved understanding of the linkages between watershed change and
>    tropical coastal ecosystem health are especially encouraged from
>    ecologist, hydrologists, geomorphologists, and coastal marine
>    scientists.

Michael E. Field
US Geological Survey
Pacific Science Center