[Coral-List] effect of fishing with bleach

John Claydon jclaydon at fieldstudies.org
Thu Jun 7 11:20:13 EDT 2007

Dear coral-listers,

Catching lobsters with the use of bleach (e.g. sodium hypochloride,
“clorox”) is illegal, but reportedly widespread here in the Turks & Caicos
Islands. I understand that the bleach will kill many benthic organisms but I
was wandering if reefs “killed” by repetitive and excessive use bleach had
certain distinguishing characteristics. If anyone had any photos I could
look at of reefs reportedly impacted by bleach I would be very grateful.

Yours,

JOHN CLAYDON

--------

John Claydon, PhD

Resident Marine Ecology Lecturer

SFS - Center for Marine Resource Studies
South Caicos, Turks & Caicos Islands
British West Indies
Tel: +1 649 9463362
Fax: +1 649 9463246