[Coral-List] Coral-List Digest, Vol 48, Issue 9

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Mon Jun 11 12:23:06 EDT 2007

Dear Jim,

I agree with you about the very valuable data that improved
instrumentation will bring, and don't mean to put down its
importance, even if it basically refines what is already known. You
are also right that we did already know in a qualitative way about
the modulating effect of ALL these other factors from field
observations and lab experiments in the 1980s and in fact decades
before.  It was already obvious that temperature was the overwhelming
trigger and the rest were modulators rather than primary causes, and
so useful less in prediction than in explaining the spatial and
temporal variability of the responses, along with both coral and
zooxanthella genetics. From a political standpoint there was such a
tremendous amount of funding to "prove" that the cause was ANYTHING
BUT temperature, yet now, after a long period of denial, ridicule,
etc. our HotSpot bleaching prediction method is taken as such "common
knowledge" that almost nobody bothers to cite the primary literature,

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139