[Coral-List] Coral disease- tissue sloughing

andrew ross andyroo_of72 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 10:42:01 EDT 2007

List,

For the past 2 weeks i've been seeing tissue sloughing
on M. annularis and A. cervicornis seemingly
associated with recent heavy rain in Montego Bay,
Jamaica. I wave my hand over the coral and tissue
comes away in small (or sometimes not so small)
sheets.

On A. cervicornis this is directly associated with
Hermodice (fire worm)attack- only affects
attacked/bitten corals to continue to kill more/all
tissue over a few days. Associated with (probably) one
'tainted' worm as all are in one re-planting plot area
and bites of similar size. Unbitten corals within same
plot remain healthy.

Andrew