[Coral-List] Sponge aggression against corals

Pawlik, Joseph pawlikj at uncw.edu
Tue Mar 6 13:44:14 EST 2007

Greetings Coral-listers,

For those of you who may be interested in competitive interactions
between sponges and corals, and the use of a diving PAM fluorometer, we
have a new publication:

Pawlik, J.R., Steindler, L., Henkel, T.P., Beer, S., and Ilan, M.  2007.
Chemical warfare on coral reefs: Sponge metabolites differentially
affect coral symbiosis in situ. Limnology and Oceanography  52: 907-911.
PDF <http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/2007LimnolPawliketal.pdf>

Here are some companion papers from our lab:

Engel, S. and Pawlik, J.R.  2005.  Interactions among  Florida sponges.
I. Reef habitats.  Marine Ecology Progress Series, 303: 133-144.  PDF
<http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/2005MEPSEng1.pdf>

Engel, S. and Pawlik, J.R. 2000. Allelopathic activities of sponge
extracts.  Marine Ecology Progress Series, 207: 273-281. PDF
<http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/2000MEPSEngPaw.pdf>

Regards,

Joe

Joseph R. Pawlik, Professor