[Coral-List] Research Advice Needed

Vanese Flood vanesef at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 09:08:08 EST 2007

Chris,

While I cannot advise you on the methodologies
specifically, I would advise that you use a protocol
that will be easily replicated after the dredge to
make a more meaningful comparison.  If there is
already a body of work related to the area you are
monitoring you could use those methodologies,
depending on what they are, so that you will have a
long term data-set.

You may want to look at the Carricomp protocols.
While some people say these have their limitations,
they are at least a standard by which your data may be
compared to other areas in the Caribbean.

I would also be very careful about the dredging
--specifically, if grain size will be altered and
water flow reduced or rerouted. If this is the case,
you may not see recovery for a long time, if ever.
Please see: Flood, Pitt and Smith, MPB 51(2005)
545-557.

Kind regards,
Vanese