[Coral-List] Info Needed: Impacts to corals outside of protected and managed areas for the US

Steven Lutz steven.lutz at mcbi.org
Wed Mar 14 13:22:48 EDT 2007

Dear Coral-List,

As you may know, the Coral Reef Conservation Act is up for reauthorization.
Rep. Faleomavaega (American Samoa) introduced language to reauthorize this
Act just last month (2/27).  I believe we are presented with an opportunity
to give meaningful conservation "teeth" to this legislation.

I am looking for information about anthropogenic impacts to corals outside
of protected and managed areas in the U.S. - Direct impacts such as vessel
groundings, treasure prospecting (with dynamite), destructive fishing
practices, eutrophication due to pollution and nutrients, etc.  Recent
newspaper articles would be much appreciated.

Steven Lutz

Steven Lutz, Ocean Policy Analyst
Marine Conservation Biology Institute
600 Pennsylvania Ave, SE, Suite 210
Washington DC 20003  USA
1 202 546 5346 (office)
1 202 546 5348 (fax)
Steven.Lutz at mcbi.org
www.mcbi.org

Protecting Ocean Life Through Science and Conservation Advocacy