[Coral-List] zooxanthellae culture

Ranjeet Bhagooli coral at scientist.com
Sun Mar 25 12:46:19 EDT 2007

Hi Lucia and Daniel,

I'm also struggling to get good clean cultures/clones of Symbiodinium from scleractinian corals.

re-GeO2 suggestion - "Thomas et al (1978) added GeO2 to natural phytoplankton samples in an attempt to separate flagellate productivity from diatom productivity and noted that dinoflagellate photosynthesis was inhibited as well." Thus it does not seem that good to add GeO2 in cultures of Symbiodinium if they are to be used for physiological experiments, unless the culturing intention is otherwise.

reference: Thomas et al (1978) Diatom productivity compared to other algae in natural marine assemblages. J. Phycol. 14:2580-253

May be repeated subculturing after Symbiodinium cells selection under the microscope might help!

Also note that clade D symbiodinium grows very very slowly. And may be the algae you've got in culture could be a member of clade D!

All the best,
Ranjeet

Ranjeet Bhagooli, Ph.D.
MBF/RSMAS