[Coral-List] threats to coral from seismic testing

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Sat May 12 09:24:09 EDT 2007

Good day.

I would like to agree with what I detect is implicit in the two

Of all the threats modern reefs face, seismic testing would not make
the top 100. Perhaps the top 500.

I recall talking with some vintage divers at an AAUS Meeting, who told
me how the impacts of seismic testing were evaluated back in the days
of iron divers and dynamite-seismic: the divers were simply told to
approach the blast sites until they could no longer stand it. (Answer:
VERY close.) Of course, this was also before huge damage suits became
popular.

These divers seemed to me to be just as intelligent and alert as anyone
else who had been diving for >50 years...hmmm...

Mike