[Coral-List] Wonders of the deep - new online database of deep-sea images and footage from the SERPENT

J. Michael Nolan mnolan at rainforestandreef.org
Sun May 20 09:47:07 EDT 2007

>From another list, thought some could be interested.

Thank you.

Mike Nolan

Hello All,

The SERPENT project, hosted at the University of Southampton, UK, collaborates with the oil and gas industry to carry out deep-sea scientific research on habitat mapping, sea-bed recovery rates from disturbance and a variety of other experimental approaches to document biodiversity in the deep sea. We gain access to industrial Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) to carry out this work, and an extremely interesting and valuable aspect to having cameras on these robots is that we have collected hundreds and hundreds of photos and videos of fascinating deep-sea creatures.

I thought you might be interested in our image and video database that has just gone live. It holds all the images and videos of deep-sea animals and features together with the corresponding data that we have collected over the course of the SERPENT project since it started in 2003. We are constantly uploading new records so it will be regularly updated. If you have any comments or questions please do not hesitate to contact me. We hope this will be a useful resource for anyone interested in the biology of the deep sea.

http://archive.serpentproject.com/

Regards,

Lis Maclaren

Lis Maclaren

SERPENT Outreach Coordinator

DEEPSEAS Group

Ocean Biogeochemistry and Ecosystems
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
European Way,
Southampton SO14 3ZH

UK

t: +44 (0) 23 8059 6357
f: +44 (0) 23 8059 6247

e: lkm at noc.soton.ac.uk

w: www.serpentproject.com

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Both NERC and the University of Southampton (who operate NOCS as a collaboration) are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000. The information contained in this e-mail and any reply you make may be disclosed unless it is legally exempt from disclosure. Any material supplied to NOCS may be stored in the electronic records management system of either the University or NERC as appropriate.

----------

If we are on another line or away from the phone, please leave your number, best time to return your call and/or your e-mail address.

After hours and weekend phone appointments are available upon request.

Sincerely,

J. Michael Nolan, Director

Rainforest and Reef 501 (c)(3) non-profit

"Outstanding-Affordable Field Courses in Rainforest & Marine Ecology"

"Spanish/Cultural Immersion: Spain, Mexico, Central and South America"

Rainforest and Reef 501 (c)(3) non-profit
P.O. Box 141543
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49514-1543 USA
Local/International Phone: 001.616.604.0546
Toll Free U.S. and Canada: 1.877.255.3721
Skype/MS IM: travelwithrandr
AOL IM: buddythemacaw
E-mail: info at rainforestandreef.org and travelwithrandr at gmail.com
*Note: Please send inquiries to both e-mail addresses
Web: http://rainforestandreef.org

Costa Rica:
Juan Pablo Bello
San Jose, Costa Rica
E-mail: juanpablobello at rainforestandreef.org
Phone: 011.506.290.8883/011.506.822.8222

Europe:
Marion Stephan
Frankfurt, Germany
E-mail: mstephan at rainforestandreef.org