[Coral-List] Project Manager postion available for Chumbe Island Coral Park, Zanzibar, East Africa
chumbe at zitec.org
Tue Nov 6 07:28:03 EST 2007
Please find advert with all the details below. You are welcome to send
it to any interested people who would want to work with this very special
Chumbe Island Coral Park
PO Box 3203 - Zanzibar / Tanzania
Phone/Fax: +255 (0)24 2231040
mobile: +255 (0)777 413582
Fax UK: +44 (0)870 1341284
chumbe at zitec.org
Chumbe Island Coral Park Ltd
Location: near Zanzibar town
Chumbe Island Coral Park Ltd. (CHICOP) is a renowned sustainable private
conservation project based in Zanzibar/Tanzania with not for profit
objectives. The company has established and now manages Chumbe Island as a
nature reserve. The project is made financially sustainable through the
establishment of an award winning eco-lodge. The park includes a protected
reef sanctuary and forest reserve. There is also a visitors’ centre with a
working classroom used for environmental education. Ecotourism supports
park management, research and education programs for local schools.
The project manager is based near Zanzibar town and reports to the project
director. Leading a team of two expatriates and thirty eight Tanzanian
employees, he/she is expected to:
· Liaise with the Government of Zanzibar (Ministry of Agriculture,
Departments of Fisheries, Forestry and Environment, Ministry of Finance,
Ministry and Commission for Tourism, Zanzibar Investment Promotion Agency,
Immigration and Labour) along with other relevant institutions (Institute of
Marine Sciences of the University Dar es Salaam, local and international
NGOs and conservation organisations, volunteer and donor agencies etc.);
· Keep up to date with policy changes, regulations and
administrative practice relevant to the Chumbe project, and produce the
required monthly and quarterly reports to government (ZIPA, relevant
ministries, tax authorities);
· Manage project staff and be in charge of recruitments;
· Promote continuous relevant skill-based training of staff;
· Oversee the departmental managers in their work;
· Oversee all office-based activities and administration;
· Oversee financial management, cross-check accounts and produce
analytical evaluations for the Director;
· Supervise donor-funded activities, including proposals, reports
and accounts to the funding agency;
· Oversee evaluations recommended in the Chumbe Island Management
Plan 2006-2016 every six months;
· Promote research opportunities in the park and utilize research
findings in park management and reports where appropriate;
· Promote educational opportunities and oversee the education
program in the park;
· Liaise with the media to promote the Chumbe project;
· Represent the Chumbe project nationally and internationally in
close coordination with the Director.
· Bachelors degree essential, Masters degree preferred in the fields
of environment/development/ management.
· Minimum 3 years experience working in conservation/ecotourism
related field in East Africa with familiarity of institutional frameworks in
· Personnel management experience and skills.
· Familiarity with budgeting and accounting analysis.
· Fully computer literate.
· Experience in marine related issues and good knowledge of marine
ecology and coral reef biology.
· Experience in educational development or teaching.
· Experience working within an Islamic society.
· Understanding of technical issues in maintenance of buildings and
equipment (solar energy, water, sanitation).
· Able to be a determined negotiator whilst remaining diplomatic and
· An organized, pragmatic, problem solving mind.
· Strong leadership skills required and keen interest in sustainable
· Enthusiasm, energy and initiative. Sense of humour and commitment
to the project imperative.
· Fluent in English/KiSwahili
· Minimum contract length two years, renewable
· Visas/permits covered
· AAR Health insurance
· Flight ticket to region of employment once every two years
(annually if combined with sponsored duty travel close to home country)
· Accommodation and food provided whenever on the island, lunch in
· Secure accommodation provided
· Use of car evenings and weekends
· Salary: Negotiable and commensurate with qualifications and
Interested applicants should send covering letter and CV to:
Chumbe at zitec.org
Chumbe Island Coral Park Ltd.
www.chumbeisland.com for more information
E fax: +44-870-1341284
Closing date: November 20th 2007
Applicants will only be contacted if considered.
More information about the Coral-List