[Coral-List] Response to Goreau

Mumby, Peter P.J.Mumby at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 09:15:06 EST 2007

Dear Dr Goreau

I read with interest your message about our paper and would like to
clarify a number of misconceptions.

1) We do NOT conclude that lack of grazing is the cause of coral reef
decline nor do we conclude that parrotfish are the solution to the
problem. The model shows that reefs have a greater capacity to recover
from disturbance if total grazing and coral cover are higher.
Sensitivity analyses repeatedly showed that reefs could shift to either
a coral- or algal-dominated state when levels of grazing represented
those found today in the functional absence of Diadema. Whether the reef
will shift to either a coral or algal state depends on the initial coral
cover, the disturbance regime, the underlying dynamics of the system,
and the level of grazing. However, as grazing levels are increased by
fisheries management, the likelihood of a reef becoming entrained
towards an algal-dominated state decreases - i.e. the system becomes
more resilient. Therefore, high levels of parrotfish grazing do not
guarantee that a reef recover, but they maximise the probability that it
will. There are a number of studies from the Caribbean that show that
corals can respond when grazing levels increase, so this really isn't
controversial.

2) Model outcomes are NOT an inevitable restatement of assumptions. The
model was an individual-based (or agent based) approach that assigns
empirical rates of processes to corals, categories of algae, herbivores,
and so on. In other words, we use the existing literature to build the
reef from scratch - e.g. corals recruit at the rates we see in the
field, grow at observed rates, etc, etc. This is very different from
creating an explicit mathematical relationship such that algal cover is
merely a function of coral cover. It is also important to bear in mind
that each model parameter is based on an empirical field study from the
Caribbean.

3) Your statements about the functioning of the model are incorrect.
Corals experience both partial and whole-colony mortality at chronic
background levels observed in nature (from studies by Rolf Bak and John
Bythell). The causes of this mortality are varied and include parrotfish
predation, occasional diseases, storm damage, etc. We then estimate the
'equilibrial' dynamics of such reefs between major disturbance events -
i.e. does the reef tend to increase in coral cover, remain the same, or
decline over time after a disturbance of given size? We then add a
disturbance regime which, by way of example was hurricanes occurring
every 20 years, and assess the net outcome of disturbance and recovery.
This highlights whether the reef has the capacity to absorb these
impacts or not, which is the essence of resilience.

Other assertions on the parameterisation are also incorrect. Algae do
not grow at constant rates and they are extensively scoured (removed)
after major storms. I'll deal with nutrients separately.

3) Nutrients. It's very important to understand that the model was
parameterised for a particular type of reef - seaward forereefs. These
reefs have low suspended sediment concentration and typically have very
high levels of primary production because high wave exposure maximises
the delivery of nutrients to algal fronds. Therefore, the algal
colonisation and growth rates are relatively high and considerably
greater than those from leeward reefs. Changes in algal growth rate will
affect the shape of the hysteresis curve (Fig. 2 of the paper). When we
carried out sensitivity analyses to different algal growth rates (as a
proxy for nutrient flux), we found that the conclusions held despite
perturbing the growth rates of algae. In short, the model does have the
capacity to vary algal growth rates and sensitivity analyses reveal that
20% fluctuations do not alter our main conclusions. Indeed, an earlier
study, published in Ecological Modelling, found that even a doubling of
algal colonisation and growth rates had limited impact on reef
trajectories. That does not mean that nutrients are unimportant -
rather, the model provides a framework to integrate the effects of
changes in both algal growth rate and grazing. There are some
combinations of coral cover and grazing for which changes in algal
growth rate are really quite important (as illustrated by your
examples). Like most things in nature, the relative importance of
nutrient flux and grazing varies from place to place.

We must try to incorporate the best science available to parameterise
ecological models. As new data emerge, the model (and others like it)
can be improved. For example, I have not yet seen a study that
rigorously quantifies the additive effect of rising nutrient
concentrations on the community composition of Caribbean forereefs (i.e.
factoring in other changes such as exposure, grazing, water velocity,
habitat differences, etc). If such studies are available then we can
progressively refine the model accordingly.

Lastly, I'd just like to reiterate the main take-home messages of the
paper.

A) Previous field studies have provided clear evidence of phase changes
on coral reefs, such as those that occur when the levels of urchin or
fish grazing change. What our model reveals is that phase changes can
involve at least two alternate stable states. This means that once a
threshold of say coral cover is exceeded during a sudden disturbance,
the reef can either shift towards a coral- or algal-dominated state even
if grazing levels remain unchanged. As to whether the reef moves towards
a coral or algal state depends on the initial coral cover, underlying
reef dynamics (including nutrient levels), level of grazing, and
intensity of disturbance. Alternate states occur because of feedback
processes and this means that it becomes progressively more difficult to
restore a reef as its health declines because the negative feedback
loops maintain the algal-dominated state. This process is called
hysteresis and implies that management is more likely to be successful
when applied to reefs in the early stages of degradation rather than
waiting until the reef is fully degraded. There is, therefore, a need
for urgent action.

B) Plots of hysteresis behaviour in reefs are useful if the axes
represent major issues of importance (e.g. coral cover, which is
battered by bleaching, hurricanes, etc) and processes under management
control (e.g. grazing or nutrient flux). The shape of the hysteresis
plot is influenced by the underlying reef dynamics and therefore reefs
in different environments will have different-shaped curves. Placing all
these factors on a single graph is useful because it puts everything
into context - the type of disturbance regime and the ability of
different management interventions to alter resilience. To illustrate
this concept, we applied an example of a disturbance regime to a seaward
forereef and estimated the probability that reefs would retain an
ability to exhibit net recovery. In other words, what is the probability
that a reef of coral cover X and grazing level Y in the year 2007, would
still be able to exhibit recovery in the year 2037 under the specified
disturbance regime?

I hope that clarifies some of the issues but would be happy to continue
the discussion privately.

Sincerely

Peter

Professor Peter J Mumby